About this item:

54 Views | 9 Downloads

Author Notes:

Russell R. Kempker, Lisa Sthreshley, Lisa Sharling, Dawn Comeau, and Carlos del Rio, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, E-mails: rkempke@emory.edu, lisa.christine.sthreshley@emory.edu, lisa.sharling@emory.edu, dcomeau@emory.edu, and cdelrio@emory.edu.

Nestani Tukvadze and Zaza Avaliani, National Center for Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia, E-mails: marikushane@yahoo.com and avalianizaza@yahoo.com.

Matthew J. Magee, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, E-mail: mjmagee@gsu.edu.

Henry M. Blumberg, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, and Hubert Department of Global Health and Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health of Emory University, Atlanta, GA, E-mail: henry.m.blumberg@emory.edu.

We wanted to thank the many persons who have been a part of the Emory–Georgia Research Training Program and who have made many important and valuable contributions including George Khechinashvili, Archil Salakia, Iagor Kalandadze, Mamuka Japaridze, Givi Javashvili, Amiran Gamrelidze, all Fogarty trainees and research collaborators who have participated in the program, members of the Training Advisory Committee, and all research mentors.

Subjects:

Research Funding:

This work has been supported in part by grants from the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) including from the Fogarty International Center (D43 TW007124 to H. M. B.), the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (K23AI03044 and R21AI122001 to R. R. K.), and National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (UL1TR000454 to the Atlanta Clinical and Translational Science Institute and UL1TR002378 to the Georgia Clinical and Translational Science Alliance [Georgia CTSA]).

Support was also provided by the Emory University Global Health Institute.

No author was paid to write this article by a pharmaceutical or other agency.

Keywords:

  • Science & Technology
  • Life Sciences & Biomedicine
  • Public, Environmental & Occupational Health
  • Tropical Medicine
  • MULTIDRUG-RESISTANT TUBERCULOSIS
  • OPERATIONAL-RESEARCH
  • PREVALENCE
  • SCHOLARS

The Impact of a Fogarty International Center-Supported Tuberculosis Research Training Program in the Country of Georgia

Tools:

Journal Title:

American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene

Volume:

Volume 98, Number 4

Publisher:

, Pages 1069-1074

Type of Work:

Article | Final Publisher PDF

Abstract:

In 2004, there existed limited tuberculosis (TB) research capacity in the country of Georgia. In response, a collaborative research training program (RTP) supported by aNational Institutes ofHealth Fogarty International Center Global Infectious Diseases grantwas formed between a U.S. academic institution and theNationalCenter for Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (NCTLD) and other institutions in Georgia. We sought to assess outcomes of this RTP. The TB RTP combined didactic and mentored research training for Georgian trainees. Long-term trainees were supported for a 2-year period and with posttrainee career development mentoring. Metrics used to measure program performance included publications, grants received, andcareer advancement. From2004 to 2015, 20 traineesparticipated in theprogram with 15 (75%) authoring a total of 65 publications in PubMed-listed journals. Themedian number of publications per traineewas six (interquartile range 2-14). A total of 16 (80%) trainees remain working in the area of TB; nine were promoted to leadership positions and three to lead research units atGeorgian institutions. Ten (50%) trainees were the principal investigator (PI) of a peer-reviewed external grant after Fogarty-supported training, and 40% served as research mentors. Annual TB-related research funding at the NCTLD increased from $5,000 in 2005 to ∼$1.5 million in 2017. A Georgian Fogarty trainee was either PI, site PI, or coinvestigator on > 90%of all research funding.Webelieve that theNIH Fogarty-funded TB research training grant has made critical contributions to increasing the TB-related research infrastructure and capacity in Georgia, particularly at the NCTLD.

Copyright information:

© 2018 by The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

Export to EndNote