About this item:

437 Views | 444 Downloads

Author Notes:

Correspondence to: Amit J Shah, MD1518 Clifton Rd, CNR Room 3053, Atlanta, GA 30322, Tel: 404-727-8712; Fax: 404-727-8737; Email: ajshah3@emory.edu

We would like to thank the secretarial staff at the Montefiore cardiology clinic for their hard work in helping to collect data for this study.

The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the funders.

Conflicts of Interest None

Subjects:

Research Funding:

Dr. Shah is sponsored by the American Heart Association (SDG-20593449) and National Institutes of Health (UL1-TR-000454, KL2-TR-00045, K23-HL-127251).

Keywords:

  • Prevention
  • Preventive Cardiology
  • Meditation
  • Attitudes
  • Heart Disease

Attitudes of inner city patients with cardiovascular disease towards meditation

Tools:

Journal Title:

Journal of Integrative Cardiology

Volume:

Volume 2, Number 2

Publisher:

Type of Work:

Article | Final Publisher PDF

Abstract:

Objectives Meditation is a stress reduction intervention that is of potential benefit to patients with cardiovascular disease, but its interest in inner city cardiology patients is unknown. We surveyed patients at an inner city cardiology clinic about their interest in learning meditation and the impact of stress on their lifestyles. Methods A survey was distributed to 215 consecutive patients in an inner city cardiology clinic. Chi-square tests were used to compare those interested and not interested in meditation. Results Of the 215 surveys, 54 were excluded because of 2 or more missing responses, leaving 161 for analysis. The mean age was 61 (+/− 16.5) years; 59% were female, 37% were black non-Hispanic, and 34% were Hispanic, and 18% were white. Overall, 46% expressed interest in learning meditation, and 64% agreed that less stress would facilitate living a healthy lifestyle. In subgroup analysis, the highest levels of interest in meditation classes occurred in patients who were younger than 65 years old (69% interested) and those who agreed that less stress would facilitate living a healthy lifestyle (71% interested). Conclusion Many of the patients at an inner city cardiology clinic may have interest in learning meditation. Given the effects of stress in this population, clinical trials involving meditation are warranted.

Copyright information:

©2016Amit J Shah.T

This is an Open Access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).

Creative Commons License

Export to EndNote